Monday, May 12, 2008

CP "Get to Know a Purl": Rose

1. How did you hear about Charlotte Purls and when did you join?
I first heard about the Purls through Michelle's blog, but I learned more about it after attending the first Knit Nuts Meeting. Connie had such wonderful things to say about the Purls that I decided to visit. That was in November 2007.

2. How long have you been knitting/crocheting and who taught you?
I've been crocheting since 1998 and knitting since Feb. 2006. I completely taught myself crochet from books and a friend taught me how to cast on and knit stitch. I've learned most of what else I know about knitting from books (although a YouTube video helped me make the switch from English to Continental knitting without too much of a headache.)

3. What is your favorite item(s) you like to knit/crochet that you could never get enough of doing?
I enjoy knitting baby hats and novelty/toy items. The hats are quick to knit and I enjoy creating new themes; plus I donate them which feels good. The toys are fun plus I get the chance to learn different techniques while making something for my son and my nephew (or charity). These smaller projects also help me use up leftover yarn and my goal is to get rid of half of my stash of leftovers by the end of the year.


4. Is there one thing you really have no desire to knit/crochet?
I really don't feel the need to make socks, gloves or shrugs...although I'm not saying I never will. One thing I like about knitting is that there are projects for every lifestyle, budget, interest and time commitment. Right now I like quicker, portable projects geared towards little kids, but I'm sure that won't always be the case.

5. How often during the week do you knit/crochet and when do you normally fit in time?
I knit at least 5 days of the week. I take the bus to work so I knit to and from work. I also try to knit 1/2 an hour to an hour every evening, but that depends on what else I have to get done. I save finishing for the weekend when I have more time.

6. What is your favorite project to date that you knitted/crocheted?
Probably the Batman-Inspired Sweater with Detachable Cape I made for my nephew. I designed it myself (including the intarsia chart..my first), so I was really proud when it came out like I wanted, plus my nephew always wants to wear it, so it was a success. I also learned shrinky dinks can make great customized buttons.

7. At this moment, what is your future dream project you would like to knit/crochet?
I'm excited about quite a few projects (mostly things I thought up), but if I have to pick one it would be the Chanel-ish Cardigan from the Greetings from Knit Cafe book. It's more involved than any project I've chosen so far and will probably be only the second garment I've made for myself (I'm planning on casting on for the Ballet Tee from Loop-D Loop in the next week or so).

8. What one new knitting/crocheting thing do you want to learn in 2008?
I would like to learn more about color-work..I've done intarsia but would like to tackle fair isle. And I'd like to take on some more complicated patterns. Oh, and learning more about customizing for size would be great.

9. What are your "go to" knit/crochet book(s)?
I don't have a go-to book for techniques (I use the Internet for that), but I love Debbie Bliss books for the photography and classic design. I'm working my way through her book, Baby knits for Beginners, the last pattern incorporates all the previous skills learned, it's helped me to keep learning new things.

10. Other than knitting/crocheting are there any other hobbies or activities you enjoy doing?
I call myself craft chick for a good reason: I love all kinds of crafts. I knit, sew, paint, draw, etch glass, digital scrapbook, make cards, fold origami, take photographs, etc. If I see something I like I think, "I could do that," and I jump right in. I also love to read and travel.

11. Tell us, how would your close friends/family describe you?
Brutally honest, loyal, funny, inquisitive, smart and a non-wealthy Martha Stewart-type.

12. If you could have a full day to spend with anyone (dead or alive) who would that be and why?
Its a tie between Jackie O and my grandparents. Jackie O fascinates me and I never knew any of my grandparents and I would love to talk to them about who they were, what their parents were like and what my parents were like when they were younger.

13. What one thing do you know for sure?
I know a few things for sure, but the most important thing I know is that I love my son more than anything, more than myself.

14. What has our group (Charlotte Purls) changed about you?
I think it has changed others perception of knitting which has helped me not feel guilty for knitting. Seeing me in photos with a large group of people who work, have children, take care of their homes and come from varied backgrounds of different ages has helped break the stereotype that many have of what a knitter looks like. Also I don't feel funny knitting in public anymore.

15. What do you enjoy most about Charlotte Purls?
I love seeing new yarns (and touching them), seeing other projects, being inspired, great conversations, learning new things, showing my projects to others who understand the work I put into them, and the baked potatos at Bear Rock :).

4 comments:

Salama na Furahi said...

Rose's projects are always so cute and creative! I love looking at her projects!

Connie said...

It was nice getting to know more about you Rose...you are always so much fun to be around and you are always smiling!

Virtuous said...

So glad you are a Purl too!

It makes perfect sense why you call yourself CraftChick! Your project are so unique! I love seeing what you are always working on!

Haha! @ Baked Potatos!

Janet Richards said...

I love to see what projects you are working on - they are always so creative and cute! It was great reading more about you!